The highest part of Cape Forchu Island was the site of a major turn-of-the-century resort-style hotel called The Markland Hotel. Boats left from the Killam Wharf in Yarmouth and landed at a large wharf on Cape Forchu Island, bringing guests and visitors. The Markland Hotel was built in the early 1900s and housed guests for $7 to $10 a week American. In 1925, the hotel closed from lack of business due to the war. The Markland Hotel was demolished in 1934. The roadway to the original spot is now overgrown but can be distinguished.